There’s something you may not know about me…
Along with my many, many addictions, I have a problem with compulsive sugar consumption. I’ve had this problem for a very very long time so when my boyfriend and I made a pact to give up sugar about a year ago its needless to say that I was very worried.
One of the ways that we combat our sugar withdrawals is with regular fun (but healthy) weekend breakfast indulgence. Our fun weekend breakfast usually consists of pancakes or sometimes bacon and eggs but my favourite menu appearance is… WAFFLES!
I’ve pieced this recipe together from various waffle recipes and adjusted it based our taste (we LOVE cinnamon) and my boyfriend’s dietary requirements. I’ve tried and tested it so so many times that I’ve got waffle making down to a fine art.
- 1 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup sugar free maple flavoured syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 1/4 cup gluten free flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Mix together apple cider vinegar and almond milk, leave this to sit for about 1 minute.
- Combine all dry ingredients together in a large bowl
- Add all wet ingredients to your dry ingredients and mix well (not too much!!)
- The consistency of your batter should be just thicker than a regular pancake batter. If its too runny, add more GF flour, if its too gluey add more almond milk
- Let this sit for a minute while you heat up your waffle iron
- Cook your waffles in your waffle iron, this recipe should make roughly 5 or 6 waffles depending on the size of your waffle mould.
- Top with your favourite berries, fruit yoghurt or my favourite peanut butter!
Until next time! xx